Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Confession

I’m having a few issues with the blog lately. One thing is that, after sitting at a computer all day long, it’s hard to have a hobby that involves a computer. But I think more than that is all the self-censoring. Blogging takes all the dedication and discipline of journaling, without the reward of just being able to RIP on someone or something that drives you crazy. Until I stated this blog I didn't realize that so much of my satisfaction in life came from ripping on people. It's my favorite pastime. And no bitching about my job? Give me a break.

Then there’s the fear. Ever since hearing about a friend of a friend getting fired from his job for “misuse of company letterhead” a few years back, I’ve always had a sense that my professional end will somehow involve a grocery list carelessly written on the back of a Bank envelope or something. Add to that the other night I stumble on a great blog that makes all of those fears seem realistic.

I started the blog in November, after a month of exciting travel. I'd spent a week in Tokyo, a week in Bali and a few days in Seoul, all one right after another, and I was feeling like I had a lot of new experiences to share. Since then I've been just here, right here in my little cho (neighborhood), commuting to work each day, doing dishes and laundry, and watching Frasier reruns while my cable is out. There's not a lot of news in that lifestyle.

Anyway, I’m not saying I’m going to bail. I enjoy writing and I like being able to share little bits of life in Japan with friends and family. Plus, it's kind of challenging, and I do enjoy a challenge. The point of blogs, to me, is related to that concept that everyone has a story. I love that. I get a lot of satisfaction and connection from reading friend's blogs, too, and so, for now, I'm going to continue to add to the mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment