Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

I Guess I'll Find Out

I don't really understand the rules to blogging. I understand there is some kind of virtual etiquette, but I don't really know the basics. And it makes me nervous. I get it that I'm not supposed to write about my job. (More on that later.) And I'd never put family member's names or friend's last names on my blog. But what else? Can I write about a friend in a general way and use their first name, even if they don't know about it? Can I quote people if I name the source? Not necessarily. Can I link to anything I want? Do I need to ask someone's permission before I link to them? What about businesses, can I link to them? What about opinions? Can I say, hypothetically, I'd like to blow up every Gateway computer store in America because I really, really hate them and they wouldn't know good customer service if it bit them on the butt? What if I list a disclaimer and say that the opinions expressed in my blog are mine alone and don't reflect on anyone I know, have known or will know? I don't know. I find myself being a little too cautious and it's bugging me. Sometimes when I write I think, "Oh, geez, I don't want to tick anyone off." What? When did that become a priority? That's not me at all. I feel paranoid that I will invade someone's privacy by putting something out there. It's not a huge deal, but it's something I've been thinking about lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment