Pages

Saturday, May 22, 2010

"If A Bullet Should Enter My Brain, Let That Bullet Destroy Every Closet Door"

Happy Harvey Milk Day! It's California's first annual celebration of Harvey Milk, the first openly gay man to be elected to major public office. It's a great day to rent the Oscar-winning movie about his life, Milk, and learn more about his story. I have a promotional t-shirt from the movie's release, and I dug it out just for today. Milk is one of Time Magazine's 100 Most Important People of the Century, summed up with the following: "People told him no openly gay man could win political office. Fortunately, he ignored them."

Once in the public eye, Milk received constant death threats because he was gay. He famously hoped that if he was ever killed, his death would advance gay acceptance. A profoundly unselfish wish from a real life hero.

1 comment:

  1. I would highly recommend the Oscar-winning documentary "The Times of Harvey Milk" (1984). I found it far more lucid, informative and WAY more moving, but I'm glad that the Sean Penn movie reached a wider audience. I hope you passed a happy Harvey Milk Day, too. I attended a Pride celebration here in Yorkshire on what has to have been our hottest day for years x

    ReplyDelete