1. Girl I Wanna Lay You Down - ALO with Jack Johnson This song is smokin'. Impossible to listen to it without: a) giggling, and b) grooving. Go listen to it right now, but know that afterward you're going to have to call your significant other and whisper sweet nothings into the phone. If you don't have a special someone, feel free to leave me a dirty voicemail.
2. The Story - Brandi Carlile Hottest teeth-gap, super-amazing vocals, killer lyrics that start empowered and descend into a codependent mess. God, I love this song.
3. Come Pick Me Up - Ryan Adams When he sings, "Steal my records . . . " you're going to want to throw yourself under a bus. In a good way. Also, never a huge fan of the harmonica, but here it works, it works, it works. PG-13.
4. Hold Me - KT Oslin I am old. And I can't resist a woman with a powerful voice, or a story about people who stay together.
5. This Train Don't Stop There Anymore - Elton John When he sings, "You may not believe it, but I don't believe in miracles anymore," I find it difficult to breathe. I mostly like early Elton, but I think this is one of his best. This song is a brave, brave admission of complete heartbreak. One of my all-time top ten? Maybe.
6. Breakdown - Jack Johnson (Sweet video!) This song puts my mind in the right place for surfing and for life. Every time. And it contains maybe my favorite lyric ever: "I got no time that I got to get to where I don't need to be."
7. Crash This Train - Joshua James I've been listening to this for a while, but I can't stop. Addressed to the previous presidential administration. Haunting.
8. Run - Snow Patrol I've been slow to catch on to these kids, but this video did it for me. I also love the part, "Have heart, my dear, we're bound to be afraid, even if it's just for a few days."
9. After Tonight - Justin Nozuka I can't get over the rhythm of the chorus on this one. Fun to scream-sing in your car.
10. When You Walk In The Room - Fyfe Dangerfield The screeeeeech and the "Heh!" at the beginning make this song worth about an hour on repeat. But that's just me.