Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Top Ten

Sizzle recently asked for suggestions for new music, so I thought I'd post the top ten tunes I'm listening to right now. She received a ton of comments over there with great recommendations. And if you have any suggestions for me, I'd love to hear them!

1. Girl I Wanna Lay You Down - ALO with Jack Johnson This song is smokin'. Impossible to listen to it without: a) giggling, and b) grooving. Go listen to it right now, but know that afterward you're going to have to call your significant other and whisper sweet nothings into the phone. If you don't have a special someone, feel free to leave me a dirty voicemail.

2. The Story - Brandi Carlile Hottest teeth-gap, super-amazing vocals, killer lyrics that start empowered and descend into a codependent mess. God, I love this song.

3. Come Pick Me Up - Ryan Adams When he sings, "Steal my records . . . " you're going to want to throw yourself under a bus. In a good way. Also, never a huge fan of the harmonica, but here it works, it works, it works. PG-13.

4. Hold Me - KT Oslin I am old. And I can't resist a woman with a powerful voice, or a story about people who stay together.

5. This Train Don't Stop There Anymore - Elton John When he sings, "You may not believe it, but I don't believe in miracles anymore," I find it difficult to breathe. I mostly like early Elton, but I think this is one of his best. This song is a brave, brave admission of complete heartbreak. One of my all-time top ten? Maybe.

6. Breakdown - Jack Johnson (Sweet video!) This song puts my mind in the right place for surfing and for life. Every time. And it contains maybe my favorite lyric ever: "I got no time that I got to get to where I don't need to be."

7. Crash This Train - Joshua James I've been listening to this for a while, but I can't stop. Addressed to the previous presidential administration. Haunting.

8. Run - Snow Patrol I've been slow to catch on to these kids, but this video did it for me. I also love the part, "Have heart, my dear, we're bound to be afraid, even if it's just for a few days."

9. After Tonight - Justin Nozuka I can't get over the rhythm of the chorus on this one. Fun to scream-sing in your car.

10. When You Walk In The Room - Fyfe Dangerfield The screeeeeech and the "Heh!" at the beginning make this song worth about an hour on repeat. But that's just me.

5 comments:

  1. Whenever I hear Jack Johnson I get the feeling that his soul is where my soul wants to be. There's a gentle good-natured vibe to the guy.

    He did a concert in Munich when I was visiting there a couple of years back. To say that there was a powerful thunderstorm during the open-air concert is an understatement. I could have done with your wetsuit that night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not a fan of the harmonica?!?!?!? i'm not sure we can still be friends.

    i'm such a music snob, i looked at your list with horror. i'm glad you're not me.

    the whole album that 'come pick me up' is on, 'heartbreaker' is freaking excellent.

    p.s. highly appropriate word verification: raver

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow and thanks for sharing your tunes. Great choices, I'm gonna copy several :)

    I have loved your posts on surfing lately, I am glad the weather was cooperating! I hope you get out some more during your study sessions in the next month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I JUST this past week found Justin Nozuka's "After Tonight." I don't even remember how, but it was before I read this post and now I'm all YES OMG YES. Because his voice? And that song? And the BEAT? I can't stop listening to it.

    No, really. I think Cayly is becoming concerned. Haa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "This Train Don't Stop Here Anymore" is also my all time favourite! Not to mentioned the video featured the, back then still very depressing, Robert Downey Jr. Which fits that video so well.

    Love your picks!

    ReplyDelete