Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

I Think I Can, I Think I Can

So just to review, I quit school to focus on my job until the economy gets better, and as soon as I did that (like, literally while I was withdrawing from school) I received news that my job appears to be ending.

That was a rough week.

And then this happened: I received my lease renewal notice last Monday. Of course, I knew this was coming and had already made plans in my budget to handle two possible rent increases. One estimated increase was big but realistic, and the other possible increase was if my landlords wanted to be total a-holes. But moving is expensive, so I made plans to accommodate either. And then you know what happens next. The increase was exactly twice my high estimate, which puts the new rent for my two-bedroom apartment at almost $1300/month. Srsly.

So now I'm moving. Because everything else in my life is really stable, so why not move? I've been looking at apartments all week on my lunch hour and all day yesterday and today on my weekend. Such a stinky pastime. Why is every apartment manager a snotty 13-year old girl? And please, the next time you are looking to move, do yourself a favor and avoid online reviews of all apartment buildings. The last review I looked at encouraged cross-referencing the county homicide map with the complex. I couldn't resist, and sure enough - murder she wrote, right there in that very building.

I guess I had an outdated idea of what normal rental rates are because everything in my goal range has been kind of skeevy, and I can do a lot of things, but skeevy isn't one of them. So then I decided to try for a one-bedroom instead of a two, but I pretty much abandoned that today. I have a lot of stuff plus a 10' surfboard. A one-bedroom place isn't going to cut it.

I'm going to look at one more place tomorrow and then try really hard to just pick from what I've seen. It's only been a week, but I'm tired of the process and I want to make a decision so I can put this behind me. I hope that's the right thing to do. I can make just about any non-skeevy space comfortable and sunny and feel like home.

The whole school/work/apartment thing has sucked some ass; I'm not going to lie. But here are some good things:
  • I went to acupuncture, glorious acupuncture, today for the 2nd week in a row. I haven't done that since before school started - over a year ago. 
  • It's really, really, really nice to not do homework before work, after work, on my lunch hour, and all weekend long. I love not doing homework.
  • I used to go to yoga. Remember? That's another thing I haven't done even once since school started a year ago. It hit me today that I can do that again if I want. And I think I do.
  • I've been reading. Books and stuff. Did you know they make books that aren't about the cognitive development of middle schoolers? Me neither.
  • I'm running 3 or so times a week, which feels really good. I've lost a couple ounces. That can't be bad.
  • I enjoyed the hell out of that three-week summer we had. I mean, Hawaii. And all those days by the pool. And a few weeks ago I went to a party with new friends and had a total blast. So there's that. 
  • The apartment thing kind of effed this up, but I'm going to get to go up to Seattle to see friends at some point soon. I haven't been able to do that for ages. Why? You guessed it. School. 
  • I put a few things up in my Etsy shop. Guess why? That's right. Because I had time. (Those pictures are horrible. I haven't had *that* much time.)
  • Remember all that fun I had dating last summer? Conceivably, if I could get my act (and my ass) together, I would have time to do that again. That's a goal of mine for relatively soon. 
I feel off-kilter and wonky and, I'm not going to lie, a bit depressed. But, I don't know, some good things have happened, and more good things are probably in store. It helps to remember that.

7 comments:

  1. I can't believe you're handling all this with the kind of grace you're showing. I'd be losing my shit over all this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a bright side to every shitty situation. The fact that you're able to find it speaks volumes. I'm rooting for you!

    I hope it works out that you can come to Seattle. I miss you much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it helps to think of it as the universe pointing you in a better direction.
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally sympathize! The whole work/ school/ apartment search sucks balls. Good luck, and enjoy the free time you have now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm getting my first acupuncture treatment (ever) in November. Vahid bought me a groupon, I'm excited to use it!

    I hope you find a good apartment. I know there's very little around here that isn't gross. I know, I live in one of the gross ones.

    You're awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry about the apartment lameness, but I'm hereby hoping you find something UH-mazing soon, and that everything settles in place just in time for Portland's fall to be epic. (I'm hoping that if I just keep willing it to be a dry-ish fall it will be. #magic)

    Also: Yeah, acupuncture! Seriously changed my life. And eradicated my headaches and I will never stop singing acupuncture's praises, amen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been having the life that scary dreams are made of, and handling it with grace. I'm not surprised, but I am in awe. Come to Seattle. There are people here who love you.

    ReplyDelete