That was a rough week.
And then this happened: I received my lease renewal notice last Monday. Of course, I knew this was coming and had already made plans in my budget to handle two possible rent increases. One estimated increase was big but realistic, and the other possible increase was if my landlords wanted to be total a-holes. But moving is expensive, so I made plans to accommodate either. And then you know what happens next. The increase was exactly twice my high estimate, which puts the new rent for my two-bedroom apartment at almost $1300/month. Srsly.
So now I'm moving. Because everything else in my life is really stable, so why not move? I've been looking at apartments all week on my lunch hour and all day yesterday and today on my weekend. Such a stinky pastime. Why is every apartment manager a snotty 13-year old girl? And please, the next time you are looking to move, do yourself a favor and avoid online reviews of all apartment buildings. The last review I looked at encouraged cross-referencing the county homicide map with the complex. I couldn't resist, and sure enough - murder she wrote, right there in that very building.
I guess I had an outdated idea of what normal rental rates are because everything in my goal range has been kind of skeevy, and I can do a lot of things, but skeevy isn't one of them. So then I decided to try for a one-bedroom instead of a two, but I pretty much abandoned that today. I have a lot of stuff plus a 10' surfboard. A one-bedroom place isn't going to cut it.
I'm going to look at one more place tomorrow and then try really hard to just pick from what I've seen. It's only been a week, but I'm tired of the process and I want to make a decision so I can put this behind me. I hope that's the right thing to do. I can make just about any non-skeevy space comfortable and sunny and feel like home.
The whole school/work/apartment thing has sucked some ass; I'm not going to lie. But here are some good things:
- I went to acupuncture, glorious acupuncture, today for the 2nd week in a row. I haven't done that since before school started - over a year ago.
- It's really, really, really nice to not do homework before work, after work, on my lunch hour, and all weekend long. I love not doing homework.
- I used to go to yoga. Remember? That's another thing I haven't done even once since school started a year ago. It hit me today that I can do that again if I want. And I think I do.
- I've been reading. Books and stuff. Did you know they make books that aren't about the cognitive development of middle schoolers? Me neither.
- I'm running 3 or so times a week, which feels really good. I've lost a couple ounces. That can't be bad.
- I enjoyed the hell out of that three-week summer we had. I mean, Hawaii. And all those days by the pool. And a few weeks ago I went to a party with new friends and had a total blast. So there's that.
- The apartment thing kind of effed this up, but I'm going to get to go up to Seattle to see friends at some point soon. I haven't been able to do that for ages. Why? You guessed it. School.
- I put a few things up in my Etsy shop. Guess why? That's right. Because I had time. (Those pictures are horrible. I haven't had *that* much time.)
- Remember all that fun I had dating last summer? Conceivably, if I could get my act (and my ass) together, I would have time to do that again. That's a goal of mine for relatively soon.