Pages

Thursday, December 29, 2011

More

I'm doing better, don't freak out. It's tough being an existentialist. In my next life, I'm really hoping for hedonism. (Ok, fine, I'm already a bit of a hedonist.) Maybe I should go for pragmatism.

I've made a few resolutions already. I haven't put too much thought into the new year yet, god knows that's coming, but these have been bumping around in my brain for a while. Ready to wonder how old I am? Midlife crisis in three . . . two . . .
  1. I want to learn to snowboard. I have doubts that it's going to be my thing, but I want to take a lesson or two and give it a shot. 
  2. I really want to learn to ride a skateboard. Fast. Like those girls (below). This sounds like the opposite of what I would enjoy, but I want to try it. How does one go about doing this? I'm not sure. I'll work on this and report back.
  3. I want to readmorereadmorereadmore. Things that are not on my iDevices. Books and stuff. (Just kidding, that's an inside joke. I mean: books.)
  4. I want to keep running. Maybe try for a 10k, which will be the farthest distance I will ever run in my entire life, I promise. But I love running (I actually jog, but can we just call it running? It makes me feel more athletic) and I want to keep doing it as long as my knees and hips will let me. A 10k would be a really big accomplishment for me. But most of all, I just want to keep going.
  5. I want to date more. I started doing the online thing again a couple of weeks ago and had my first date in a while last Friday. Story forthcoming. But I want to put myself out there more. It's important. 
  6. I want to take more risks - in every way. Definitely physically and emotionally. I need to offend more people. I haven't had to apologize enough in 2011. I'm fucking around, but seriously, I've been too focused on being careful. I'm almost 41. What am I waiting for? 
2011 was pretty damn rough, but I did ok. I grew a ton. I took a couple of fun trips. I invested in some very meaningful connections with other human beans. And I stayed relatively open to life despite getting bitch-slapped over and over. And over. For 2012, I would be incredibly grateful if I was lucky enough to get some of that stuff again. But more. I want more.
     

10 comments:

  1. I'm ahead of you on "offending people" - I probably achieved my quota for 2011 in December alone. I am prepared to host a Skype masterclass, if you're interested.

    I thought the guitar I bought a year ago was my midlife crisis, but it's a practical tag to put upon just about everything I've done over the last 3 years. Your ambitions for 2012 sound impressive - I have a picture in my head of you skateboarding between dinner dates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to work on NOT offending so many people. You'd be surprised how thin-skinned some of these losers can be. Then again, maybe you wouldn't.

    Oops.

    As for those "board" things you want to do, get a grip. Boards are meant for building houses with or playing word games on top of. They are not meant to be ridden. That goes against all natural laws.

    No, you get you some boards and put yourself together a nice little table. Then you put your books on that. A few more boards can make a chair. What you do then is you sit on the one and read what's on the other. Don't be trying to ride those things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this idea of not pissing enough people off. What ARE you waiting for?

    Just don't piss me off.

    Just kidding. Go ahead! :-0

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's very nice to know there are other existentialists out there. Alas I've had a mess of a year too. So ready for 2012 even though it will just be a mental clean slate rather than an actual one for me.

    I think you will rock the skateboarding. Seems like much of your surfing knowledge can be put to good use for it.

    Love that video. Happy new year!

    (Seriously? My word verification is "coping." Not ready for psychic computers.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Secret to board sports - bend your knees at all times. The first two times you snowboard you will HATE IT. After that it's like a drug - expensive and addicting. Long boarding (skateboarding) is a kick in the pants and is cheap, if you avoid the hospital.

    After you get your fix on boards, buy a bike =)

    Beantown Matt

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of trying snowboarding. I fell in love with skiing about 4 years ago and last year I tried to snowboard. It was a lot of fun but I've stuck with skiing. Good luck!

    I hope 2012 treats you better than 2011.

    Happy New Year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have wanted to learn how to snowboard for a long time. I would be willing to embarrass myself with you if you're game.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi peoples. Thanks for all of your nice comments. I just had to pop in and say, Claire: REALLY? Coping? That is awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad that your mood made a turn around. I know you will, but it's still nice to see that it came back up before the New Year! Sorry that I haven't been around much to cheer you on, as you know I was going through phases myself. But that doesn't mean I don't think about you!

    I made some goals for 2012, too, and one of them written in nice bold letters "visit Oregon"! I am going to make it down there to you some time this year because I really want to see you again!

    Stay strong and like what Greg said... I'm looking forward to see you "skateboarding between dinner dates".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome list. Yeah, running! Yeah, snowboarding! Excited for a huge 2012 for you.

    ReplyDelete