- The project I'm on at work got extended until February. I can't believe it. I know that will come up fast, but that means I'm not unemployed next month and I have more time to find something. I'm thinking about (I know . . . ) getting into management again. Not quite at the level I was at (which was no big thing, but pretty stressful for me), but basic middle management. I'm not sure I can keep my work/life balance in check, but I'm kind of sick of the dumbed-down version I've been doing. We'll see.
- Two dates lately. First one: incredibly cute, 6' 1", Italian, family had a house at a popular surf spot at the coast, built like a quarterback, total alcoholic. Second one: cute, 5' 10" but I think he was lying, probably 5' 9", middle school teacher, total misogynist. When I said I'd never been married, he told me I was way past my expiration date. I think he's lucky he made it out alive. Two more dates lined up. Both fingers crossed they'll be better than these were.
- Conditions haven't been very good for surf for a while. Strange for this time of year. It hasn't been impossible, but it's been pretty crappy - any minute now it should start getting good almost all the time through until the end of summer. I'm really looking forward to being able to surf any weekend that I want to. I have a new (used) board from late last year that I still haven't tried out, and I'm anxious to get her in the water.
- While cleaning this weekend I found a note I'd written to myself when staying with my nephew almost 3 years ago. He was 2 1/2 at the time, and every bit the little observer/scientist he is today. I use these barrette/hair claw things to put all 100 pounds of hair on top of my head, and that weekend I'd misplace the one I was using. At one point, I was exasperated, and I pulled my hair into a ponytail with my hand and just held it for a minute on top of my head. My nephew saw me and said, "You need a cwip." (A clip.) I said, "Yes . . ." and started to say that I'd lost mine, but he ran upstairs (as fast as his tiny 2 1/2 year old legs would take him) to the guest room where I was staying, grabbed the barrette I'd lost (or he'd taken? :>) and brought it back down to me. Nothing gets by that kid. He's been taking it all in since he was about a week old. He just sits back and watches and absorbs it all. If there's anything you've misplaced that you can't find, let me know and I'll ask him about it.
- I finished my first quilt. Well, just the front and back, so I still need to put it together. I'll post pictures when I do. (This is when I was just starting it.) It was a lot of fun and I'd like to take on a new project - maybe a bigger quilt. I have lots of little projects I need to finish, but I've been looking at the quilt on the cover of this book - it would be a nice one to have around the house.
- I miss JJ a lot. I'm at that point where I still catch myself starting to put "cat food" on the shopping list, or taking special care to not let the front door open wide so he won't get out . . . it's weird how automatic those behaviors became. It's also a point, though, where I'm in a routine, I'm busy, and I don't see his things lying around (I got rid of almost everything the next day) so it's easy to just pretend it didn't happen and forget he was with me. I think this is the point where I've taken the wrong path with other losses, so I'm making an effort to set aside some time and process through it all. In little chunks. I do miss him.
P.S. Can I please be that thin again?