Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Thug Life

Way back in April (I know; almost caught up) I flew to San Bernardino, of all places, for a two-day indie rap festival for up and coming acts called Paid Dues. (Relax, all of these trips have been free due to airline miles and hotel points.) San Bernardino is flat and hot, and it was a great break from Portland during the time of year when you're just about to lose your mind over the cold and gray, gray, grayness. I actually spent time at the hotel pool in SB and came home with a suntan. The vitamin D alone was worth the trip - I can't say this enough. I'd fly 1,000 miles to wear flip flops in April. Sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy.*

I went specifically to see 3 groups - Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, Doomtree, and Wu-Tang Clan. And also just to experience a rap festival! My very first! How new and exciting! These were going to be my people!

Ok, they turned out to not exactly be my people. At least from what I could tell. But that's something I really love about rap music and being 41 and about life in general, I guess. You can kind of make it be about almost anything you want it to be. After walking in and thinking: Oh my, I DO NOT belong here. I thought: Hell yeah, I belong here. I want to be here, it makes me happy, so I belong here!

I had a GREAT time at the festival, and I can't wait to go back again next year. I was a bit middle-aged this time, and I hope I'll branch out a bit more next year. This year when I arrived and saw that my 3 acts were scheduled for, like, 4, 5, and 6:00, I texted my sister: "Omg, the schedule is awesome. I can see my peeps and be back at the hotel in bed by 9." I stuck around a bit, but I missed Murs, Brother Ali, and other people I've since come to like. (Still, kinda nice to see three concerts and be in bed early.) Next year, I'll go big and try hang out for the evening sets.

Here are some pics of my big weekend. I texted a friend this picture of my pass while waiting in line on the first day and he wrote back, "Have fun down there, gangsta." Yo.

"VIP" meant separate, clean-ish bathrooms,
and a little air conditioned room to hang in occasionally.
Worth every penny. 

Dessa of Doomtree! All up in my grill!
Wu-Tang

*Yeah, I just quoted John Denver in a post about rap music. What of it?

2 comments:

  1. The fact that you quoted John Denver in a post about a rap show is one of the many reasons I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha... Sizzle's comment... So true!

    In case you didn't know... My birthday is in April. And it's usually flip-flop weather around here by that time. Just sayin. ;)

    xo

    ReplyDelete