If I had to pick a theme for this year, it would be travel. Actually, it would be sex, but this is a family blog so we'll go with travel. I started the year with a ridiculous number of frequent flier miles and free hotel nights. I'm part of Alaska Airlines' mileage program which has miles that never expire. (I think it's the only one like that.) I've saved my miles for years, through long periods of inactivity, and finally this year decided: WTF, YOLO. Or something. So I used them. And used them and used them. It was a fricking BLAST.
I make new year's resolutions every year, because - of course I do, and I thought I'd write some of them down here. It's isn't a to do list or anything; it's fluid - shit happens, priorities change. But in the interest of having fun, learning, connecting with others, growing, pushing myself forward, I'd like 2013 to include some of the following:
- Reading: Actual books. My non-blog, non-periodical, non-business reading has become abysmal. That's not ok.
- Travel: Home to see family, Seattle, Dallas, a surfing trip (probably Hawaii), and I really want to see the Crazy Horse monument in South Dakota. I'm anxious to do an International trip, but that's looking like 2014, isn't it?
- Serenity: Al-Anon, therapy, prn. Reserve the summer weekends for surfing. It's important.
- Health: Lose weight, exercise regularly. Emphasis on regularly.
- Shows: Paid Dues, Aesop Rock, Doomtree (Blowout 9!), Jason Aldean. And a few others who tickle my fancy.
- Hobbies: Basketball, sewing. Keep doing them so I have interests to cultivate outside of work.
- Non-navel gazing: Keep volunteering with my current place and find a few new opportunities so I can stay in touch with the "give" side of "give and take."
- Relationships: Keep trying.
That's what I have so far. I'm going to cuddle up to 2013 and whisper sweet nothings in its ear. Maybe bat my eyelashes at it. Show a little leg. With any luck, I'll be back here in a year telling you guys that I'm ready for 2014 but 2013 was great, and if I had to pick a theme it would be happiness. And actually, it would be sex, but, well, you know.