Pages

Thursday, June 25, 2020

SELECT DISTINCT

It's day one million of the quarantine and I'm checking in. Like most people, I guess, I've gone up and down and all around with this thing, this being here with myself thing. Sometimes I'm good company and sometimes I'm not that good for myself at all. I have been fairly cautious about the pandemic and about taking precautions, but in the last week or so I've loosened it up a bit. I started noticing that I really needed some human contact.

A week or so ago, my brother and his family came down to visit me for a few hours. Man, it was a miracle. Other voices and bodies in my quiet little condo, we ate together and then my brother and SIL helped me with a few tasks in my kitchen. My nephews watched TV and were their joyful, fully alive little selves that I love so deeply. We all took a walk, had a final round of hugs, and then they left. My ghost town of a condo felt so much more alive and happy after their visit. I must have thanked them five or six times for coming, and I could have said it 100 more times. Since then, I've seen a couple of friends - sitting a good distance apart - in real life. It's been good for my soul. 

As my feelings and moods and mental health have fluctuated, I've at times spent quarantine working on one of my many hobbies. I'm thankful to have many interests and when I'm my better self, I'm putting in time regularly to learn and grown. The latest thing I'm working on is taking an intro class on SQL. I'm ready (past ready) for a new role at my company, and it looks like having some SQL knowledge is an important tool to take the next step. I have an interview on Monday, so I'm learning as much as I can this week and then we'll see. I have loved my current job for all four years that I've had it, but it involves a level of chaos that just doesn't serve me anymore. It's so exciting, so unique, very fulfilling. But I'm looking for something with a little more learning and a little less chaos. And I'll take more money, too, please. 

That's what's happening here lately. Seeing a couple friends yesterday involved a trip to the beach where I enjoyed the sand in my toes. Lord have mercy, why don't I do that more often? Best quarantine day yet.