Pages

Friday, January 21, 2005

What's Cookin'?

I finally received my convection oven from Williams-Sonoma. (The mail is so slow right now for some reason! Letters are taking about 3 weeks and packages are taking much longer.) Japanese homes don't have ovens, they have fish ovens. A fish oven is just big enough to slide a fish into (maybe 5" across by 2 1/2" high, and about 18" deep.) I don't like to cook, and I do just a little baking, but it has been kind of irritating these past two years to not have access to an oven. (This explains why home-baked goods are such special treats to the Japanese.)

This week I made brownies for work, blueberry muffins (those didn't make the cut for anyone), and enchiladas. (I was excited, so it got more use than it normally would.) The cooking time is pretty tricky because the times are different than for traditional ovens, but I'm going to stick with low-maintenance recipes until I get it down. It's small, but a 9x9 pan fits no problem, and it came with little cookie sheets and other necessities. It feels great to be able to bake when I want, even if that's not very often.

No comments:

Post a Comment