Pages

Monday, March 14, 2005

You've Got Existentialism

Rather than risk wasting time on a new movie that might stink, I almost always prefer to watch my favorites movies over and over. Quirky, but true. One movie that I have watched a million times is You've Got Mail. It's not brain surgery, but there's something really comforting about it -- I think it is because it's set in bookstores and I love bookstores. And while I know it's dangerous to take philosophy from a Meg Ryan movie, there is a quote that I just love. I think a lot about personal courage, and how it relates to choices, so I know that is why this part caught my ear. In the movie, she's either typing or thinking out loud while typing to her mysterious e-mail friend, and she says, "Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life. Well, valuable, but small. And sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it? Or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when, shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't really want answer, I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So good night, dear void."

No comments:

Post a Comment