Pages

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Diggin' the Dancing Queen

I had such fun last week attending two musicals - Mamma Mia (great video on this site) and Urinetown. I love musicals and attending shows was honestly one of the few things I missed while living in Japan. It was such a thrill to be able to see two new shows so relatively soon after returning to the US.

The North American tour of Mamma Mia (Wikipedia) came to my area last week and I ended up going twice. I was so blown away by how completely FUN the show is, and now I sing "The Winner Takes it All" at the top of my lungs every time I get in the car. Who knew ABBA could be so inspiring? You're crazy if you don't find yourself on your feet dancing by the end of this show.

Urinetown (Wikipedia) was completely new for me, I hadn't really even heard anything about it except that I knew it had won lots of Tony Awards. The local university put on the production and it was excellent. It's such a goofy, goofy play, and I thought my sister and I were going to lose our minds over the "Don't Be The Bunny" song. We could hardly look at each other. (It's so good that I tolerated the jabs it takes at Les Miserables - Wikipedia here and here - which is basically a religion to me, so that says a lot.)

I highly recommend both shows if you need some pure, no-stress, laugh-out-loud fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment