Pages

Sunday, July 8, 2007

SiCKO

I went to see SiCKO yesterday and thought it was stunning. I'm a fan of Michael Moore's other work, but, just like you've heard, this one is really different. And I knew the film is about the American health care system, and I'd seen the trailer (below) and other clips around the Internet, and I saw him on talk shows promoting the film, but I was still stunned in the theater.

As the opening credits started to roll, I noticed that I was anticipating hearing Michael's voice; I really enjoy that he narrates his films, and I trust his voice. I think that's because Bowling for Columbine and, even more, Fahrenheit 9/11 were released at times when I really needed to hear the truth and felt like I couldn't find it anywhere.

There's a point in the middle of the film that addresses the health care issue in a bit of an existential way, and I was completely taken back by it. Yes, I cried. And I laughed at other places, too, so I guess I have to say it: I laughed, I cried. It was a bit difficult to watch from the perspective of a former expatriate - it's hard to not envy those lucky enough to have American citizenship and lucky enough to live outside of the States. I was wishing that was still me. You'll love the film. I can't wait to see it again.

6 comments:

  1. Have some friends that tried to go....it was sold out! Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not in love with Mr. Moore but "Roger and Me" -- classic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see it!!!!
    I know i'll feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see this now! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm with you. this was one of the finest documentary films i've ever seen. amazing. glad you felt the same way.

    ReplyDelete