Pages

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Connected

Today at work I stepped away from my desk and when I returned, I had a voicemail from a friend that I'd lost touch with for the last few years. We met and worked together in Japan and we used to have SO MUCH FUN together! The first time I heard my boss use the word "attitudinal" was about this friend, so you know that we were made for each other. In the few seconds between hearing her voice on the voicemail and when she said her name, I had the weirdest, "I know you" feeling that was so comforting; it almost broke my heart. 

Last night I had a dream that my cool, former military Dale Carn.egie teacher was stationed in Iwak.uni when I was, and we figured it out one night while talking after class. When I woke up I missed Japan so much, I physically ached. I curled up in a ball and hugged myself.

It feels so awesome to be connected with my friend again. There are very few people in the world who know what my Japan experience was like, and she's one of them! We instantly started cracking jokes about the people we used to work with and the stupid org we worked for. It felt so good. I couldn't laugh loud enough. 

2 comments:

  1. Such a warm post. I've made the step to connect with a few of my friends last night as well. Sometimes I get so wined up with the little things in my daily life that I forget to get in touch with people who I really care about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that feeling of only a select group of people understanding your life overseas - it's rather bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete