Pages

Friday, October 14, 2011

Some Poems Are Never Finished

My grandmother died on Monday. I don't know what to say - it happened very quickly. We are devastated. I have been beside myself with sadness all week. She was my last living grandparent, a miracle of a person, really, and I loved her so much.


I wrote my grandparents a letter, usually handwritten, every week for the last fifteen-plus years. I missed weeks when I got really busy, but I never let it go too long. I sent one last Friday morning before I knew she was sick, but it was probably still on its way to her when she passed away. 

I haven't really begun to find the words to describe my grief. But this blog has become a record of all of the important events in my life, and I wanted to mention my love for her and the loss I'm feeling.

(Post title is from Jayne Cortez.)

8 comments:

  1. My last remaining grandparent, the only one I'd met, died over 20 years ago, and I've since lost both my parents as well, so my first reaction was "Wow, you were lucky to know her this long".

    But she was lucky to know you, too, to have a granddaughter who wrote every week. Fortunate, too, to pass quickly after a short illness. I know it's a shock and you might have preferred a chance to say goodbye, but at least she we was well right up to just before the end. She had a life full to the brim. You kept her close right to the end. You are a wonderful granddaughter. I'm sure you'll miss her, but try to remember how happy you made her, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear this. I am sure she cherished your letters. My heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still miss my grandma and she passed many years ago. I only had 1 set of grandparents that I knew and I cherished my relationship with them, especially my grandma. I'm so sorry for your loss and that you did not get to see her before she went. Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously? Oh Love, I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My last grandparent died in September 1999. How great that you kept in touch all these years. I'm sure they loved your letters.

    I'm very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's terrible. I am so very, very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those letters were really something special. It's wonderful that you had that connection with your Grandparents. I am so sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to you. Big,big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs to you...

    ReplyDelete