Pages

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Buckle Up

I quit my job last week. I spent the week prior in a conference in Tokyo and had my fill of BS. One day, one minute I was done and I knew it. I was sitting in the meeting at a conference table, and I was stressed and frustrated and engaged and focused. And then I wasn't. But I was relieved and happy, and I knew what that meant.

I'm leaving on great terms, and if I stay much longer that won't be the case because I've had it. I worked out the particulars in my favor, and soon I'll be free. I've been so busy with the details of the transition, trying to enjoy the time I have left and trying to mentally prepare for what is coming. I haven't had a chance to do much of anything except focus on the next indicated thing.

I don't have a job. I'll be taking a little time off to travel and to laugh with my sister, and then I'm just going to really, really hope that the right job is there when I'm ready. My travel plans start next Friday with a week in Hawaii. I've never been, so I hope it's everything I need it to be. I'll land in NY after that, and just try to take it as it comes until I know what I should do next.

I could write volumes about this process and how it feels and how it is going so far, but I don't have time right now. I'm going to keep up the blog for as long as it's fun, although I'm not sure that thoughts from an American living in . . . America is going to be that interesting. Thanks for checking back in with me. And please, everyone cross your collective fingers that my heart can somehow bear boarding a plane with a one-way ticket away from Japan. More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment