Pages

Saturday, January 27, 2007

eWhore

It’s zero degrees right now in upstate NY. That pisses me off. What exactly is zero degrees? Why even say it? This morning it was -20 with the wind chill. There was a warning that a person with exposed skin could last no longer than thirty minutes outside before getting frostbite. ??! I’ve never experienced this kind of weather before. If you live in a place where the words “white out” mean nothing to you, thank your lucky stars. I know I’ll get used to it and stop being so pouty. I’m a slow adapter.

A few weeks ago I went on eBay for the first time (hello, slow adapter) to sell some Japanese stationery. Today I received “seller feedback” that said I am “the nicest eBayer ever!!!” and “A+A+A+!” The same buyer sent me a personal e-mail that repeated the sentiment and then added, “Your handwriting is gorgeous!!! You must hear that all the time!”

I feel almost dirty about how great that made me feel. How insecure do you have to be, like on a scale of 1 to 10, to get off on that? One being that you don’t even write in a diary because you’re afraid you’re too boring, and ten being you write on the Internet, “I’m tall and I’m luscious and I can’t help it.” The handwriting comment was what really did it. I am an absolute slave to my Type-A tendencies, and reading that felt like the teacher made a good example out of me in class.

And I do hear that all the time. Do I get a gold star now?

3 comments:

  1. in this day and age, being complimented on your handwriting IS a big deal. no one writes as much with these fancy computers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sizzle, but I think that's called enabling. :) Jk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got back from seeing the terribly creepy but very well acted movie "Notes on a Scandal" and that whole "gold star" comment kind of gives me the skeeves now!

    ReplyDelete