Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2004

Holiday Spirit

I wish I could post pictures of the houses in my neighborhood and their Christmas lights. Because the Japanese have no Thanksgiving equivalent to stave off the Christmas preparations, around the time I was making Halloween bags for the cute little cupcakes in my neighborhood, I started to see the first Santa-san decorations.

The really fun thing about the lights on the houses here is that they look exactly like what a couple of excited 10-year-olds would plan. There are a crazy amount of lights; probably a couple thousand on each house, and mostly with no real pattern. Maybe it’s a competition to see how many you can fit. Santa and Rudolph and Kitty-chan (Hello Kitty) are everywhere. I smile every time I turn a corner and see another house, a huge beacon in the night. It really strikes me as kind of heartfelt and fun. And just a little nutty.

No comments:

Post a Comment