Pages

Friday, December 9, 2005

The Constant Ralph Fiennes Fan

I saw "The Constant Gardener" while I was home in the States in September. Twice. I still can't get this movie off of my mind. It hasn't come to Japan yet, and it probably won't come to the base, but when I find it, I'll probably beat my own record set when I saw "Braveheart" six times in seven days. (I was in Bible College. Any story about a rebellion would have hooked me.) I love the honest tragedy and the dilemmas in this movie.

From a Roger Ebert review:
""The Constant Gardener" begins with a strong, angry story, and peoples it with actors who let it happen to them, instead of rushing ahead to check off the surprises. It seems solidly grounded in its Kenyan locations; like "City of God," it feels organically rooted. Like many Le Carre stories, it begins with grief and proceeds with sadness toward horror. Its closing scenes are as cynical about international politics and commerce as I can imagine. I would like to believe they are an exaggeration, but I fear they are not. This is one of the year's best films."

No comments:

Post a Comment