Pages

Saturday, February 10, 2007

You Know You Want To

If you live west of the Mississippi you need to hitchhike, bus, or yellow cab it to Portland, Oregon, on March 10th for TequilaCon 2007. You shouldn't need a reason (I mean a reason besides this) to visit the best city in the world, but if you do, a group of crazy bloggers will be meeting for drinks at McMenamins Kennedy School at 7:00 that night. Kennedy School is a bar, hotel, restaurant, movie theater, brewery, and more in an old, restored elementary school. There's a cigar bar in the detention room, and the guestrooms have chalkboards. It's unique and fun and a great place to hang. This is an open invitation, anyone can come, so don't think you can skip out just because you're not one of the cool kids. I don't know anyone who is going (know in the three-dimensional sense), but I can't think of a single reason to turn down a drink with fellow bloggers.

And don't make me say that if I can drag myself from NEW YORK to Portland, surely none of you people have an excuse remotely good enough to miss it. As a matter of fact, you people east of the Mississippi need to be there, too.

Jenny at Run, Jen, Run has the details (and a very convincing list of pros and cons) here. (Graphic by Dave, who seems to have more talent in one little finger than the rest of us have all put together.)

And if you can't come, that's cool, I understand. But know that we're going to talk about you behind your back.

Update: I just received the updated list from Jenny and there are 40 nutty bloggers attending so far. You know you want to!

13 comments:

  1. Yeah - you tell 'em!!

    Can't wait to hang out - yikes, it's coming up in just a few weeks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. (head exploding from too much good stuff in post)

    OK, now that I've sort of got that reassembled, I must say that You Are Too Cool. First, for giving out props to my (unofficial) hometown and to Powell's Books. We love it here, and it's always nice when we get external validation from someplace WAY cooler (i.e. New York).

    OK, now the bad news...I've got back-to-back biz trips to Miami and San Diego bookending that weekend, so I don't think I'll be home...DAMNIT! You can talk about me behind my back, but it should only be about how much I wanted to be there and couldn't make it...

    P.S. To everyone, I would definitely recommend booking a room at Kennedy School for that night. Getting a group of bloggers together for an event called "TequilaCon" sounds like it will end up being a long evening.

    P.P.S. One other thing: Kennedy School is haunted...sleep well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, CRIII, for some reason I thought you were in California. You're in Portland? Now, listen. I totally understand the business trips stuff. It's important. However, that shit doesn't fly with us. Cancel it.

    See you there!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ow wow. i can't decide which one's more exciting -- the bloggerscon or the tequilacon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, P-town is where I call home. (Actually, the compound is about 45 minutes outside the city, but after living in Portland for so long, I still consider myself a Portlander and not an "Oregon City-er".)

    Hmmm...I will have to see what I can do about those pesky business trips. Unfortunately, those are how I support wasting time by blogging when not traveling/working. If I can't make it, you all have to tip your 40's for me...

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like a blast. it would be very odd to actually see these folks. very odd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm committed, so I guess I oughtta be committed. Cheap airline ticket purchased, and countered by expensive hotel (the Marriott). But it's only one night, and I'm worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's haunted!? crap. i already booked my room there. now i am prematurely freaking out.

    i'm SO excited. total bonus that i get to toast you in person.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like I'd better get it on my calendar. Yikes, the threats and all made me nervous. Can I post this on my site with an invitation to Portland bloggers?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lewis - please do post it! It's an open invitation. If anyone is certain they'll attend, please have them e-mail Jenny at Run, Jen, Run (see my blogroll) so she can update the list.

    Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm.. Not entirely impossible. I may just have to meet you there... Even if it isn't the piano bar. ;) Stay tuned!

    Oh yeah. Rene' took Jeff and I to this same place when we went up last July! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. UPATE: Unfortunately, I will be working and out of town on the 10th.....please don't hate me or toss ridicule upon my head and soul. I promise that I'd rather be at the haunted school (been there a million times and never had any trouble). Cheers to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dude! NO WAY.
    I just stumbled onto your blog randomly this eve...all the while you were across town with your friends drinking and having fun. This evening of all times! Damn. I really woulda shown up, cause drinking at the Kennedy is always a good time, even with strangers....ah well.
    So goes serendipity...

    ReplyDelete