Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Again

It's so hot inside my house right now. We've had a beautiful weekend here in Upstate, and I spent quite a bit of it outside reading. It felt like a miracle to have the hot sun on my skin; two weeks ago today we had snow.

I leave tomorrow for Pittsburgh. It's a quick trip, but that hasn't helped the normal night-before nerves. I don't know if it's all about the flight or what, but I just get jittery before a trip. I'm leaving some of the packing for tomorrow morning. Never a good idea, is it? I'll be in Pitts for the PA primary, which will probably be the swan song of my girl, Hil. Actually, I saw John Edwards on Stephen Colbert the other night (I heart JE here); he was hilarious and brilliant. There goes the only person who I really believe could have made sense of this mess.

I watched Into the Wild today. I read the book years ago and loved it, and I loved the movie. It's haunting - the whole way through. Just to watch someone who holds on so loosely. I can't stop thinking about it.

For the past month at work I've been courted for another position that would have been permanent and pretty cool. Things were looking good until last week when it feel through. I haven't been devastated, but I am back to having that worry about my job ending in the back of my mind all the time. As I get older, I definitely worry less. I see that life just goes on and does whatever it's supposed to do and worrying doesn't influence it one way or the other. But sometimes I still get caught up in it. I'm going to try to just ride the wave on this one.

Does anyone else think that picture of the Pope boarding his plane to leave the US looks like, "I am not a crook!"?

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you loved 'Into the Wild'. I also found it haunting and significant. It touched on so many un–thought-through notions in my head that it almost felt like therapy or a mental work-out. I love your description of it as 'someone who holds on so loosely'. I think I could stand to loosen my grip a little if my fingers will unlock. I only know one other person who has seen the movie (it stayed on our screens for 1 week) and he hated it with as much passion as I love it. It's certainly not a movie for parents to watch, I think. Looking forward to reading the book soon, but that's a gem of a movie.

    Thanks for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think the new pope looks slightly satanic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hot in your place? And it's only the end of April? Oh my. And, it's Daddy Pope to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hot in your place? And it's only the end of April? Oh my. And, it's Daddy Pope to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny, as much as I love to travel for pleasure--for business it's always another story. I used to work a job where I'd be out of town for a full month every other month. Packing up my life and apartment for a month all the time was always stressful and depressing to me. Oy.

    ReplyDelete